Speaking forms a very important part in our day to day life. People love to talk. Either they talk about themselves or about others or about any event. As soon as, you allow your communication partner or partners to express their thoughts, they start participating and this enriches the experience.
Much of the good communication is not about speaking, it is more about listening, observing, paying attention to what the partner thinks or feels.
1. Usage of words that can cause ambiguity. Words can mean different things to different people. So, we need to be aware that our expected meaning may be different from that of the other person. This can have unfortunate repercussions at times.
2. Alert Listener- One needs to be an alert listener. Poor listening can lead to misunderstanding of what is being said or can also lead to a poor response. Listening is not just hearing the words said, but s lot more.
Listening well is one of the best things. It helps immensely to provide the speaker with the desired response that in turn leads to a healthy conversation.
3. Emotional Barriers- Some people find it difficult to express themselves. They are complete introverts and take their own time to come out of the shell. This acts as the biggest hurdle as breaking the ice at the preliminary stage is of immense importance.
4. Language Barriers- Communication occurs across the globe. Different countries have different accents and different languages. This language difference can lead to difficulty in understanding unfamiliar accents that acts as a barrier.
5. Lack of interest- If the listener shows lack of interest the it becomes a barrier in communication. Not only lack of interest, but lack of attention, distractions or irrelevance to the receiver are the factors that become barriers while speaking.
6. Cultural differences- Different cultures greatly vary in the norms of social interaction, as the way in which emotions are expressed differ greatly.
7. Psychological barriers- It is a state in which the receiver will be influenced by the message that is received. In other words, it is the manner in which the message can be taken by the receiver.
8. Physical barriers- Communication is generally easier over short distances as more channels are available and the technology that is used is to the minimum. Although modern technology serves to reduce the impact of physical barrier, the pros and cons should be understood to use the appropriate medium to overcome physical barriers.
Thus, one can overcome barriers to effective communication by giving your audience the chance to contribute to the conversation and make a healthy competition. This will help in improving the relationship with the speaker drastically and you will be respected and valued in any situation where people gather.