The practice of writing letters is followed since ages. In writing letters, the highest achievement is in giving the appearance of simplicity, naturalness and impact. Those who use meaningless phrases which are of complicated forms do not make an impression of elegance upon the readers. Making a good first impression is crucial to business success. We all know the importance of a good handshake to give a first good impression when meeting someone in person. Equally important, as part of our total professional appearance is making a good first impression with your business correspondence.
- Business letters are written on a quality paper ‘called letter head ‘. Your name or the name of the company should be clearly identifiable. The address and contact information should also be easy to find and read.
- One needs to use a consistent type style and size that is easy to read. It also helps to define the overall company image. The most common layout style for business correspondence is justify the left margin and to place an extra line space to indicate new paragraphs. One must take utmost care while laying out the letters to have balanced margin all around. This is known as formatting the letters, which gives it an added value.
- Begin all your letter with :-
- Date: – List the date, the letter is being sent. Typically no more than two or three spaces follow this line.
- Address and inside address
- Title or Position
- Company name
- City, State , Country
The above mentioned, is the proper format, in which we should mention each information a separate lines. When entering the name of a state, type the entire name. As a sign of respect, especially for those who are writing for the first time, it is best to address the person properly as Miss, Ms, Mrs., etc followed by their first and last names.