English is a very prominent language across the globe. It is the 2nd most understood language globally. English is required in every walk of our lives. Its importance is such that it has its impact not only on the career graph of a personality, but also on other areas. In other words, it is not only restricted to professional life but also personal life.
The better you communicate in English with those whom you work with, the better is its effectiveness and will help to get success at the professional level, through practice one can soon learn to speak English as comfortably and easily as one’s mother tongue.
As anything in life, the more one practices in a proper way, the better one can become at it. No miracle can happen to give us fluency in a language apart from the miracle of hard work and immense dedication.
One must have immense clarity on why learning English is on priority. The impact of English language is not temporary; it has its lifelong impact. In metropolitan cities, English language has become of utmost importance in our day to day routine activities. Below mentioned are a few ways to improve one’s English language
Loud Reading is one of the most important activities, which enables one to gain fluency in the language in the long run. The practice of loud reading makes a personality, confident and helps in making them come out of their shyness.
There are some set of people who are very reluctant to talk even while saying the correct things. This activity of loud reading helps them to open up and become courageous.
As one benefit is mentioned that it helps a person to become confident another benefit is that, it helps the person to get clarity in his/her speech. Loud reading brings immense clarity as the person is well aware of the pace that is expected to be followed. Once the pace is perfect, the speech becomes clear and understandable.
The third most prominent benefit is that while loud reading is being done, at that moment, one speaks absolutely correct English. This acts as an add on to the confidence of a personality.
The fourth benefit of loud reading is that it makes the personality very expressive. Loud reading is fruitful only when emotions and expressions are added to each and every work that is being read only when the speakers gets connected to each and every statement, then the reading can be made more effective and it can have a tremendous impact on the listeners.
KEEN OBSERVING POWER:
While coming across a personality, who can speak good English, one, needs to closely observe that personality. Always remember, nothing works better than imitating good speakers.
- Imitation should be done, not only of English language but also of the expression, clarity, pace, vocabulary, body language etc, that the speaker adopts. The fastest way to learn English language is to imitate a good speaker.
- This art can be done only by people who keenly observe good speakers and put their hard work and efforts in improving their English language.
- The manner in which they pronounce each word and throw emphasis on each word. When once you have observed this, then one needs to blindly imitate things.
- Observe well in every person and pick them up, try to implement them in your way. This would make a unique combination and help in creating your own style in which you can freely interact with confidence.
- Instant implementation will not result in excelling the act of public speaking One needs to practice it day in and day out to make it one’s habit.
- This will help one to become fluent in the English language and also add grace and confidence in one’s body language.
In order to become a confident personality, one should make mirror, one’s friends. Mirror is a reflection of one’s queer appearance along with the inner feelings.
- Many people find it difficult to face their own selves. A steady eye contact with one’s own self will enable the person to become confident. Mirror shows you how your expressions and pronunciations are. It helps you to become aware of your body movements gestures and postures. If it is inappropriate it gives a path to improve oneself.
- Mirror Practice is one of the bentest ways to improve your existing confidence and take it to the next level. One should appreciate one’s own self the ways one is. One can become confident about one’s own self only when one accepts his/ herself along with heir positives and areas of improvement.
- One must give 20-30 minutes to mirror practice on a daily basis. When one comes in contact with one’s own self then only one can see good things in them. Criticizing yourself can only cause you harm and affect your self esteem.
- Mirror Practice helps us to analyze ourselves and teaches us to accept ourselves the way we are:-
Once we become friendly with our own self, then confidence will not be far away from us. So, one must be very comfortable and honest with his / herself to become an excellent orator.
CONVERSE IN ENGLISH:
Only having the knowledge of English is not enough. One must be able to put it in words and should be successful in having a fruitful and productive conversation.
- People believe what they see. If they see that you can communicate in English with confidence, then they will believe. If they see that you are shy and not having confidence, then that is what they will believe.
- Always be the one who initiates a conversation. Always look for an opportunity to have a word with someone. It is rightly said that only willingness is not enough, one must also implement.
- Implementation will give a clear picture of what they have learnt and what all hard work do they need to do. When a person is learning English or any language, simultaneously he/ she should talk, and then only difference is evident.
- When you have a family get together or you are out with friends, try to talk as much as you can in English. This will help a lot. People, who always feel shy about being wrong, they end up with learning nothing. Be confident and speak do not worry about others. The real test would start when you talk to people in English. It will make you aware of your areas of improvement and make you more focused on the subject matters.
One needs to make reading not only one’s hobby but also one’s passion. People, who are passionate about reading, learn faster and are also able to implement it in their lives.
- Reading makes them come closer to English. They get to know new words. It makes them enhance their vocabulary and also allows them to think in English.
- The Practice of reading English books or novels gives them the confidence. The more one reads, the more they become aware of the words which they can implement in their daily lives. Many people complain that many a times, they fall short of words while they interact. The only reason why they face this difficulty is because there is no enough vocabulary that will help them to enhance their conversation and make them sound cut above the edge.
- Reading gives us more exposure and takes us into the different world of English. It encourages us to be in pace with new words and make the maximum use of them while we talk. The most important benefit of reading is that it makes us read grammatically correct sentences.
- While one reads, unknowingly they read correct English which helps them a lot to frame a grammatically apt statement.
One can make a drastic improvement in English by simply imitating great orators. The fastest and the most effective way to improve English is to observe people who speak fluent English, grab the good words and then implement them in the speech.
- Observing sharply not only the speech but also the body language of the speaker helps a lot to improve English language. One must always remember that knowing English is not enough; one should have a proper art to deliver the language effectively.
- In today’s scenario, everyone wants a candidate who is not only a good speaker but one who is also having an excellent personality and is presentable.
- The companies are hunting for candidates who are a complete package and are all rounder’s. One must have a role model who has all the qualities and imitate him/her.
- Only seeing is believing, whatever people will see in you. They will believe only that. If you show them confidence they will believe that you are confidant and if you show them that you lack most and they would be forced to believe.
- Imitation will save from the most awkward situations. Instant implementation and improvement can happen only when one imitates a good orator with a presentable and graceful personality.
THINK IN ENGLISH:
With an aim to improve English language, one should think in English. Only having technical knowledge of the language is not enough, practical implementation is very important. Implementation is possible only when one interacts in English and interaction can happen only when through are clear. Clarity in thoughts is possible only when one thinks in English.
- One should develop the habit of thinking in English. The practice of thinking in English enables one to become fluent while one interacts. Majority of the people, have the habit of first thinking in their mother tongue and then translating it in English, this seldom makes one fluent.
- The chain that one should adopt is think-speak-think-speak. The mistake that one makes is that they adopt the chain of speak-think-speak- think. Many a times, people speak and then think if what they have said is correct or not. Whereas with the focus to improve one’s English, one should take pause before talking and think in English language.
- Thinking in English, makes one get exposed to new words, as it makes them aware of new words and vocabulary. This enhance their confidence and improves their moral, Always thinking in English makes one fluent and also makes their speech understandable and clear to people. Daily 20 minutes of thinking in English, gives one the required fluency and confidence in the language.
The Art of Listening is very vital to improve the English language. This aspect can be understood by relating it to our lives. When we were infants or children, nobody taught us our mother tongue, we learnt it just by listening and we become fluent in it just by listening.
- Similarly, in order to become fluent in English one should surround one’s self with people, who know English language and who speak only in English. The more you near people interacting in English, the more you learn. Listening is a prominent thing in learning any language.
- By listening to people who fluently interact in English one gets an exposure to new vocabulary and comes across many new phrases or idioms. Listening forms an important art while learning English. One should be surrounded by people who are well versed with the language and meet always look for opportunities to interact with people.
- The more one interacts, the more one learns. Just having knowledge of English in depth is of less use. One should have enough implementation of the language and the implementation should also be of a practical one. Listening does not mean only of people but it can be of any kind like listening to English songs, watching English news channels etc, Listening is one of the most effective ways to learn English language.
One needs to have a prolonged motivation to practice. Proactive efforts are very much welcomed while learning anything. There are very much welcomed while learning anything. There are innumerable methods that one can adopt and practice the language in an appropriate way.
- In order to become an effective speaker of English language, one should record one’s own voice and listen to it. This helps in self analysis. One can map one’s own improvement by practicing.
- Practice is the only element that can make one perfect and motivate oneself to learn more and more. In today’s scenario, where globalization is on the rampage, the stage is set such that English has become inerrable and important for anything and everything like studies, job, business and many more.
- Possessing fair English knowledge will give one the confidence and good understanding on various global perspectives. It is never wrong to learn any language. English language has become an essential tool to communicate with most of the people in society. In order to excel in the said language, regular implementation of the same is extremely important. By constant practice, one can find a radical change in the language and will enable one to become fluent and gain immense clarity.
Grammar is important. The parts of speech, tenses, form of verb, articles and modals all contribute to fluency. Focus more on understanding between nouns and verbs, which runs throughout English at all levels. One should make sincere efforts tofu learn them.
- Majority of people run behind fluency, they fail to understand that fluency can be gained only when one is well versed with grammar and its rules. In the entire literature, grammar rules are extremely prominent; one should always keep the grammar rules into consideration, as they are the only tools to make one fluent in the language.
- When learning or using many people find that their grammar is far from perfect. But grammar is inescapable. It is the backbone of the any language and must be understood in order to communicate effectively. People communicate through writing now more than ever.
- As phone calls decrease and text messages increase, e-mails have become standard for business. Using proper spelling and good English grammar is imperative for all of these methods of communication when applying for jobs, good English grammar becomes exceptionally important, even if you desired carrier has nothing to do with writing, your attention to grammar in your better and resume will show intelligence and class.
- As we are well aware that English grammar is very important as it will help not only in getting jobs but also potentially increase the changes to become acceptable socially.
Do you know how you sound like in English? Record yourself on your computer or another taping device, play back the recording and pay very close attention to what you hear. Listen to your pronunciations and tone of speech. Ask yourself are there area you could improve? Write these done and continue to work on them.
- The Importance of recording is to make you aware of the area where one needs to improve and to take the necessary steps that will enable one to become fluent.
- An audio recorder is one of the important tools that should be used on a regular basis. Audio recording is a vital tool for providing the rumens of oral explanations and pronunciations. After the recording, one must check if the pace was apt, or was it too fast or too slow and then bring an enhancement in one’s speech.
- It works in a tremendous way because these recordings provide unlimited access to receive the explanation of meanings that they worked on and will improve the understanding of content. Make podcasts your buddies. Podcasts are available on internet.
- These are nothing but audio or video files and many podcasts can be downloaded instantly for free with the help of these, one can develop an understanding of different accents of native speakers in English.
SPEAK SLOWLY AND CLEARLY:
Communication is the transfer of information and understanding from one person to another. It is a way of reaching others with facts and information. Most of the times people talk keeping in mind their understandability of their speech, but the main focus should be on making the speech understandable to the listener.
- The speaker needs to drop down to the listener’s level and adopt their pace. Making one’s speech understandable to one’s own self is not an achievement. The achievement would be when the audience understands the speaker. Speaking clearly and slowly is of primary importance, whatever you communicate with others, they should be able to understand what has been communicated to them.
- In the initial stage if you speak clearly and slowly, you can overcome number of mistakes. In course of time you would surely enhance your communication skills in English. Be confident and speak as often as possible to as many people as you possibly can. Do not be shy to make mistakes. The more you practice the better and more confident you will become in your pronunciations and vocabulary.
- Always remember no one is perfect everyone learns from their mistakes. Speak with a mirror, person or even wall, all that matters is to improve your skills. English is meant to be learnt by committing errors. Improving is not an overnight process, it takes a great deal of time and this can be achieved by being patient and practice speaking.
USE THE DICTIONARY:
Try and familiarize yourself with the phonetic symbols of the dictionary. Look up the correct pronunciation of words that are hard for you to say. Write down words and their definitions for future reference.
- The objective to use a dictionary is to determine the effectiveness of each word that is unknown. Making it a practice to daily find new vocabulary words and gradually replacing it with your existing English words.
- Dictionary gives you the exposure to the word of new words if used properly. It gets one come across words that will help one to enhance their vocabulary and lease a drastic impact one others. One must always have general knowledge of the spoken words. You can write all the new words that you hear and you can also write their synonyms, Opposites etc, to further enhance English better.
- Reading English daily is one of the best ways for improving your English language skills, you can buy any English newspaper and try to read it for a few minutes, note down the words that you do not understand and learn their meanings by referring to a dictionary. This task will boost one’s vocabulary and increase the understanding of the English language.
The art of writing brings you closer to English language. It gives you a chance to correct the spelling errors, if there are any writing materializes the knowledge that one has of the language. If full proofs the knowledge that one has acquired for the language. Expressing your ideas in writing is another useful part of the English language learning process.
- Writing down your thoughts in English language is not only improving your communication skills, it will also help in improving your creativity and confident levels. Start writing short and simple sentences and gradually develop the writing skills to complex sentences with proper usage of grammar.
- Making a diary and penning down your thoughts is one of the best ways to map one’s progress when it comes that English language. It you think writing is very difficult and hard for you to learn thinks again, it is one of the most essential and quickest means to learn English language.
- It provides you with a proof that whatever knowledge gained is appropriate or not.
- It helps us to seal he adequate amount of knowledge that we have gained and encourage us to go further on the path of learning. The art of writing should be developed by everyone. It acts as a mirror and makes people aware of their understanding. Most people never consider the complexity and difficulty of the writing process. In fact, related to other activities writing requires more basic skills than perhaps any other.
- Thus, one must consider writing as one of the most prominent steps and indulge in the same for polishing the language that one has acquired.
Another very important thing to remember is never feel low of yourself if you do not posses good knowledge in English. The only thing that you need to do is to keep on speaking in English with the people in your immediate circle.
- With an optimistic approach half of the things are acquired with ease. It is widely accepted that an important contributor to success in a foreign language is the student’s attitude towards it. Considering English as foreign language or the second language when the candidates have a positive and rewarding experience and approach they usually have higher motivation to learn the language and are less likely to suffer from any kind of amity.
- Motivation can be gained but nothing works that being a self motivator. Self motivation is the best motivation that one can have and that allows one to race the learning process. One most understands and agrees that leering any language is not an overnight process, it has its own limitation and so does the learner. Self analysis is very important. Analyzing one’s efforts and dedication determined one’s improvement in the learning process.
- Immense devotion is required to learn any foreign language; one must be extremely hard working and must follow a planner to reach the set target of gaining any knowledge of a language. To be motivated throughout the learning process one should know the importance of the language, without knowing its importance and urgency for you, motivation cannot stay long.
IMPROVE THE PRONUNCIATIONS:
Good communication in English depends on proper pronunciation. The regional dialects can differ but clear pronunciations are paramount or bound to make the message well understood. By listening and practicing the sound of English words you can gain mystery over proper pronunciations. Proper pronunciation means speaking in such a way that any fluent speaker of the language would effortlessly know and understand the message.
- Improper pronunciation caners breakdown in communication and requires more efforts to understand. There are different dialects that give result to different pronunciations. English speakers with a southern dialect have the habit of stretching the vowels.
- The speakers of other language can confess the listeners if proper pronunciations are not made. Poor pronunciations can cause negative first impression. People who cannot pronounce English properly can often be taken as less literate or intelligent.
- This can be a factor during promotions and appraisals. If you’re entire performance at the professional level is perfect, but still you can be knocked down for the accent one carriers and the pronunciation that one makes. Volume and pitch are other factors that contribute to pronunciation. The message should be loud enough to be heard and the tone of the message contributes to the meaning as well.
- Always remember that majority of skills for good pronunciation are acquired through their use rather than learned in any university or classroom. By hearing the language clearly, you are going to acquire it faster.
REDUCE THE FEAR:
Empower yourself and reduce your fears. Remember to think confidently. Everyone makes mistakes when someone learns something new. Some of people worry of sounding stupid, saying something when you mean something else and even wondering if people even understand what is said. But remember it is fear better to try than not to try at all.
- Fear closes the doors for opportunities and become a major obstacle in our success. Many times we also use the term” fear “while we actually mean “shy”. So any growth will be hampered.
- One should keep trying and at each step of the way, you will be empowered to try harder and the fear of speaking or learning English language will eventually disappear. Anxiety and nervousness are the key factor that reduces motivation and achievement.
- Lack of confidence is another remarkable factor of anxiety and fears. Self esteem and self confidence are like the foundations of a building, if they are not secure enough then even the best technology will be insufficient to build solid walls over them.
- Language anxiety has a negative impact on learning. We can also identify them with some physical fears, such as playing with hair, objects, looking at the ceiling etc. Some of them are noticeable in audios and videos. Hence, one needs to reduce the language fear by having the confidence and keeping oneself self-motivated. Dedication and devotion towards learning makes things easier.
WATCH ENGLISH MOVIES WITH SUBTITLES:
One of the finest ways to improve English is to watch English movies with subtitles. If you can read subtitles without an extra effort, then it is time to use it for language improvement. It is recommended to select movies that you have already seen. But it is equally important to enjoy the movie, if you enjoy the movie, then you will also enjoy learning, you should not focus on all the sentences in English. Just focus on short sentences such as responses. In the mid, if you come across any sentence that is humorous than you can repeat it and realize what it means in your mother tongue.
You must make it a practice to repeat more and more sentences. You can also go for movies that you have not seen before. This will teach you how to understand the language and think about it in the same time. When you feel that you can understand everything that is the time to go the next level. If you feel movies are time consuming, as they are very long, then you can go for series, as they are more suitable. Just try to watch an episode of a series without subtitles and try to understand as much as possible. Then watch it again and catch everything you did not understand before.
The choice of movies is also important. It is important to select movies with simple English as an initial stage to understand it in a better way. Watching movies can be taken as one of the ways to improve English language, as it offers you ample opportunities to listen and understand.
REMEMBER THE MISTAKES:
It is rightly said by Bruce Lee: – Only willingness is not enough, implementation matters a lot, on the similar manner, only having the willingness to learn English is not enough, one should also have the element of implementation. One should implement the knowledge gained. Implementation plays as a mirror, as it makes us aware of the efforts that we are making and will also make us understand our efforts in a better way. One should always remember the mistakes that one makes, and then only learning process will be smoother and easier.
Just keeping a track of the errors is not enough, but rectifying them and not repeating them will make the learning process quicker and interesting. One must always have notes that display both the errors and then their rectifications. This chart provides immense clarity and gives one a chance to rectify by understanding the logic behind the rectifications. If you make a mistake and do not write it down, you will make the same mistake again and again. The art of writing makes you much aware of your progress and also mapping your improvement becomes easy.
Accept your error gracefully. Make necessary amendments and keep them in your mind, and try your level best not to repeat them again. Remember that errors are part and parcels of the learning process.
Patience is a very important key to learn English. Expecting results overnight is equal to fooling your own self. Having patience and being optimistic is an important factor to gain knowledge effectively. One needs to have immense patience and must be calm and composed while learning any language, no matter how much ever urgent would be for you to learn quickly but patience only will take you ahead in you learning path. Submissive approach towards learning will increase the pace of your learning. You can change the way you speak but it will not happen overnight. People often expect instant results and give up too soon. You can change the way you sound, if you are willing to put some effort into it.
Being in regular touch with grammar English words and interacting with people will make one extremely fluent and bring a drastic change in them. Impatience will make one lose the battle. Amity and restlessness should be far away from you, fresh mind and an extremely good learning approach can make you a winner. One more advantage is being patient is that helps you learn more and in systematic way.
It also allows one to think and opens doors for learning a new language. If an individual has patience since the start, then the learning process becomes more fruitful and productive.